Creative Community Program Assistant
Become a Creative Community Program Assistant
The Adohi Creative Community is a groundbreaking initiative within University Housing that offers free training and access to makerspace equipment.
This position is to assist the program coordinator for the Creative Community in the day-to-day operation of the equipment as well as plan programs and training opportunities for students to gain access to the equipment.
These responsibilities include but are not limited to the day-to-day operation of the creative spaces; training students and faculty in the use of equipment, keeping equipment in good working order, and tracking the use.
Equipment oversight will include 3D printing in existing and new forms, laser technology, textile creation, digital pattern making, recording studio equipment, and other emerging technologies.
- Plan, coordinate, and implement classes and training for students living in Adohi Hall.
- Regulate usage of rooms/students/open studio times.
- Train students on how to use the equipment and safety.
- Make sure students are utilizing appropriate safety practices
- Assist with training on tools and machinery
- Conduct routine maintenance checks on Creative Community equipment
- Check in and out students, keeping track of attendance and registration
- Participates in all safety training
- Attends meetings as determined by supervisor
- Adheres to standard housing and student affairs professional standards
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Adheres to all University Housing policies and procedures
Program Assistant Expectations
- Be responsible for two classes on two different days and times during the week. Each programmer will focus on one area, such as laser cutter
- Be familiar with all equipment that is available in the Creative Community; (Cameras, Arduinos, Raspberry pi, Circuits, soldering irons, irons, sewing machines, 3D printers, laser cutter, piano, lighting equipment in Green room and Performance area, spray booth, TVs, Wenger: Virtual Acoustic Environments)
- Be proficient in the specific area of their program area (Class they will teach)
- Will understand the equipment well enough to troubleshoot a problem
- Be knowledgeable of everything that is in each storage space, inventory and use of areas
- Be proficient in new programs /App: calendar, space availability, checking students into rooms and equipment, setting up classes
- Be a liaison for external events, that occur after 5 p.m.
- Be able to open and close the Creative Community
- Be responsible for keeping the Creative Community clean and follow safety protocol
- Monitor students using the space, assisting them to keep it clean and safe (which includes the Cabin and Kitchen)
- Be responsible for locking up rooms (that are supposed to be locked) after a student is done using them
- Promote/market all programs to Adohi and Pomfret residents
This position reports to and is supervised by the Creative Community Coordinator. Verbal contact is expected on a regular and frequent basis.
Written reports may be expected concerning specific situations. Decisions involving delegated areas should be communicated to the coordinator and are often made in consultation with him/her
The position is designed to be a 20 hour per week commitment; the actual time spent may vary slightly week to week but will not exceed the 20 hours.
Program Assistant Compensation
- Live in Adohi or Pomfret Hall
- Work with students who are as creative as you!
This position is subject to a pre-employment criminal background (and registry) check as well as a substance abuse test. Background check and drug screening information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.