1.2 What Not to Bring - Prohibited Items
Certain items residents may take for granted at home can prove impractical or harmful in a group living community or apartment.
Some items listed are specifically prohibited by law and/or University policy.
Residents found with these and/or other prohibited items in their room or apartment will be asked to remove the item and may be subject to disciplinary action through the office of Student Standards and Conduct. Items prohibited by law may be subject to immediate confiscation by university officials.
- Air conditioners - including window and portable units. These are only prohibited where installed by University Housing staff.
- Pets, except for harmless fish in an aquarium less than 10 gallons
- Candles (lit or unlit), incense and open flame/open coil activated potpourri and wax warmer products such as "Scentsy"
- Cooking appliances (except for microwave ovens, coffee makers, hot pots, and popcorn
poppers with closed coil heating elements)
- All open-heating coil devices such as toasters, toaster ovens, hot plates, etc. (any appliance with a heating element residents can touch and/or see glowing when on)
- Due to increased risk of fire, this prohibition extends to “George Foreman-style grills,” and “NuWave,” or any type of induction-heating device
- Dart boards that use metal-tipped darts
- Electric blankets or bed warmers without an automatic shut off.
- Electronic scooters, bikes, skateboards, and other similar equipment such as self-balancing
- Due to a potential fire hazard, they are prohibited from being stored and/or charged inside any University Housing residences, including those managed by University Housing.
- Grills - either outdoor or indoor (including electric steam grills)
- “3-in-1” laundry sheets
- Lighting fixtures using any type of halogen light bulbs
- Muti-plug outlet adapters or power strips without an internal circuit breaker
- Nails, screws, etc. for walls
- Paintball guns or guns of any kind
- Space heaters of any type
- Wading pools, spas
- Water coolers
- This includes tasers, bladed, blunt, projectile including guns, bows and arrows, explosives and fireworks and other incendiary devices.
- Knives larger than 4 inches are only allowed in the kitchens of Duncan apartments.
- Wireless printers that communicate in the 2.4 or 5 Gigahertz (GHz)
- Other items (Those prohibited by law and/or University policy - See Policy 4.12 Firearms in Residential Facilities for more information.)
Flags, signs, banners, or any other type of item may not be attached to the exterior of any University residence, tree, or hedging without written approval from University Housing.
Items may not be hung for display in windows or balconies of any student residence.