Active Shooter Guidelines
If you hear shots or see weapons:
- If you are outside and hear gunshots immediately seek shelter in another building or escape to a safe area away from the sounds of the gunshots. Call 911 immediately.
- Trust your instincts! Lock the doors; cover door windows if possible. Set your cell phone on vibrate or silent.
- If you are present where a shooter is active: Trust your instincts!
- Avoid: Leave the area immediately. If necessary, break windows or glass to get out of the area. Run in the opposite direction of the disturbance or shots, cover your head with books or other items for protection. DO NOT stop running until you are in a safe area. If police officers are in the area, listen and comply with all of their commands. Raise your hands or keep them in plain sight so you are not perceived as a threat to the police.
- Deny: If you choose to stay in your room. Do not leave until instructed to do so by a police officer. LOCK YOUR DOOR! Stay away from and below any window. Position furniture or other items in front of the door. Turn off the lights and call 911.
- Defend: If the first two options do not work, defend yourself and those around you. Utilize any objects available to you to distract or interrupt the actions of the shooter.
- Stay low to the ground and away from windows and doors.
- Remain in a safe location until you receive instructions from police.
- As soon as possible, call University Police at 575-2222 or dial 911
- Give the police dispatcher as many details as possible about your location, the location of the individual with the weapon, or the location of the gunshots.
- Include the number of persons involved, description of armed subject(s), weapons displayed, locations of victims, direction of travel, threats made, etc.
- Remain calm!