Living Learning Communities
As you picture yourself beginning your journey at the University of Arkansas, do any of the following things interest you?
- Living with students who are majoring in the same area.
- Real-life exposure to your field of interest.
- Getting to know faculty and staff in your major in a small group setting.
- Trips off-campus at little or no cost to you.
- Becoming a leader in your community.
If so, these are just some of the opportunities that are available through LLCs!
Become a Peer Ambassador
Peer Ambassadors are a vital part of the Living Learning Community. They are upperclass students residing within the same residence hall as their LLC. They serve as a liaison to the LLC Coordinators and Academic Engagement Staff.
Peer Ambassadors assist in planning programs, interacting with students, and completing administrative tasks associated with the LLC.
A link to the application is coming soon.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Foster a comfortable environment for active learning on a daily basis by actively engaging with students and providing opportunities to make connections that relate to the specific LLC theme.
- Act as an enthusiastic and visible member of the community by building interpersonal relationships with individual students.
- Plan and implement purposeful monthly social programs for LLC based on student interests.
- Meet regularly with LLC Coordinator to keep them informed of updates and concerns about LLC and collaborate on ways to increase community development.
- Create monthly newsletter updates for LLC participants to inform students of upcoming events and other relevant community highlights.
- Work collaboratively with Resident Assistants and Coordinators for Residence Education to implement programs and focus on meeting students’ needs.
- Attend and participate in all LLC events in order to take photos, interact with residents, and complete various administrative tasks.
- Assist LLC Coordinator in planning and executing educational programs as needed.
- Create door decorations for LLC participants at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters.
- Meet bi-weekly with Academic Engagement Staff to discuss personal performance and update on designated LLC progress.
Minimum Qualifications/ Requirements
- Start date – August 16, 2017
- Matriculated, full-time undergraduate student at the University of Arkansas
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Must have previously lived in a Living Learning Community at the University of Arkansas
- Cannot be employed as a Resident Assistant or Orientation Leader due to time constraints; other student leaderships positions may be allowed.
- Must live on campus in the same building as designated LLC, unless otherwise approved.
- Attend any necessary trainings as designated by Academic Engagement Staff, including Peer Ambassador Training prior to the beginning of each semester.
Competence in the following areas:
- Self-discipline, motivation, and time management
- Professional communication and teamwork
- Responsible, mature decision-making
- Acceptance of constructive feedback
- $9.00 per hour – approximately 10 hours per week
- August 2017 – May 2018
University Housing is excited to offer new and innovative Living Learning Communities (LLCs) for University of Arkansas students. These LLCs are comprised of major or discipline specific communities (Pre-Med, Business, etc.). As a member of the LLC, you will have the opportunity to quickly make friends, and feel comfortable at the University of Arkansas while meeting faculty and staff dedicated to your success. These opportunities have been designed to help you in your transition to college, to fit your interests and needs, and to hopefully help you achieve success both academically and socially.
The LLCs available for 2017-2018 are: